Volunteering as a group is a great team-building opportunity for businesses and community organizations and a great way to get involved. Groups can help in many different ways including coming to the House on a scheduled date to help clean, holding a wish list drive, assembling welcome bags and more. Please note that all volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. If under the age of 18, the volunteer must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteer opportunities include, but are not limited to:
Just like your house, there is always something to be done at our House. Our families take great comfort in coming home to a clean, organized space. We have facilities opportunities available all year round, ranging from organizing, cleaning, vacuuming, dusting and disinfecting to keep unsafe pathogens away from our families.
After a long day at the hospital, there’s nothing more appreciated than a home-cooked meal. Get together with friends, family or co-workers to plan a menu and prepare a comforting meal for our families. Click here to learn more about serving a meal.
Help fill our freezers to feed RMHCCIN families when we have a cancellation or do not have a meal group pre-scheduled. You bring the ingredients and a disposable pan — we provide the kitchen and utensils. This is a great team-building opportunity that can be scheduled at a time convenient for your group.
There are a number of service projects that can be done outside of the Ronald McDonald House and from the comfort of your own home or workplace. These projects are appropriate for any group size and can be a meaningful volunteer opportunity for youth under the age of 16. Opportunities include, but are not limited to:
Blankets are needed for our welcome bags. These blankets can be very comforting to the children and serve as a treasured memento of their time spent here at our House. No sew, fleece blankets are easy to make and fun for all ages! Check out our Pinterest Board
for ideas and tutorials!
Purchase items and fill welcome and/or take-home bags for the families that stay at the Ronald McDonald House. Each new family coming in to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Indiana receives a Welcome Bag complete with toiletries, a blanket, activity books to help get them through the long days at the hospital and more. When leaving, families are provided with a “Back Home Again” back with supplies for the long trip home, information on available resources and all of the ingredients for their first meal home. The contents of each bag are just another way we can care for the families that stay here, so their focus remain on their child and family. You provide the supplies, we provide the bags!
Supplies Needed for Welcome Bags:
- Bottled water (1-2 bottles)
- Chapstick/lip balm
- Crossword/puzzle book
- Travel-size hand sanitizer
- Small box of Kleenex
- Throw sized blankets (The no sew fleece blankets are ideal. Please request instructions if needed. If this is a hardship, please inquire with Mary Friend. Occasionally we have donated blankets on hand.)
Supplies Needed for Take-Home Bags:
- Bottled water (1-2 bottles)
- Children’s book (New)
- Coloring books/crayons
- Stuffed animal (If this is a hardship, please inquire with Mary Friend. Occasionally we have donated stuffed animals on hand.)
- Snack pack – Quart-size Ziploc bag filled with individually wrapped snacks. To make sure the items are fresh, please include items with expiration dates at least 2 months out. It would be helpful if you can note the date of the item that will expire first on the bag. This will help us insure we are handing out quality items to our families. Please do not include anything homemade or perishable. Good items to include:
- Breakfast bars
- Crackers filled with cheese or peanut butter
- Granola bars
- Trail mix
Please contact Mary Friend, at email@example.com, if you have any questions.
Help keep our pantries full by collecting wish list items for our families. You can host wish list drives (view our wish list here
) or can also purchase through our online Amazon Wish List
for an easy way to ensure we receive exactly what we need. Please be sure to include your contact information so we can acknowledge your donation.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities, contact Mary Friend, Volunteer Resources Manager, at (317) 267-0605 ext. 225 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.